What is Cocos2d-x?
Started in 2010, Cocos2d-x is an open source, cross-platform game engine. It is loaded with powerful features that allows developers to create spectacular games with ease.
Why choose Cocos2d-x
Why would you want to choose Cocos2d-x over other available game engines?
Modern C++ API (please refer to the modernizing done in version 3.0)
Cross-platform - desktop and mobile
Capability to test and debug your game on the desktop and then push it to a mobile or desktop target
A vast API of functionality including sprites, actions, animations, particles, transitions, timers, events (touch, keyboard, accelerometer, mouse), sound, file IO, persistence, skeletal animations, 3D
Where to get Cocos2d-x and what do I get?
Cocos Launcher - is a graphical tool to create and manage your projects. This is also an easy way to add SDKBOX plugins to your project. Documentaion is available.
Coco Studio - is EOL'd and has been replaced by Cocos Creator. Documentation is still available.
Code IDE - is EOL'd. Common text editors and IDE's can be used instead.
Conventions used in this book
autois used for creating local variables.
using namespace cocos2d;is used to shorten types.
- each chapter has a compilable source code sample to demonstrate concepts.
- class names, methods names and other API components are rendered using fixed fonts. eg:
- italics are used to notate concepts and keywords
- This very guide! You can also get it as a PDF and ePub
- Sonar Systems Videos
- Android Fundamentals
- Make School Tutorials
- Game From Scratch
Spreading the word!
You can help us spread the word about Cocos2d-x! We would surely appreciate it!
- Talk about us on Facebook! Our Facebook Page
- Tweet, Tweet! Our Twitter
- Read our Blog and promote it on your social media.
- Become a Regional Coordinator